The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) is the best institution for engineering in India, for both B.Tech and M.Tech. The competition for admission to an IIT is very fierce because of its high prestige.
Only a few candidates get the chance to get admission to this renowned institution. To successfully apply for admission to the MTech programme at IIT Hyderabad, applicants need to read this article. So, let us begin.
IIT Hyderabad M.Tech Admission 2024
MTech is an engineering program of the postgraduate degree level for those who have completed their undergraduate degree of Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech). To apply for an MTech program at IIT Hyderabad, you must register separately on the institute’s official website and the GATE COAP 2022 page.
Online registration for GATE usually opens up in April. However, the candidates who have completed your B.Tech degree from IIT Hyderabad only can directly apply for M.Tech admission. They will get direct admission if they score more than 8.0 as the average cumulative grade point.
Who can Apply?
- Candidates who have obtained a passing score on the GATE test.
- IIT Hyderabad graduates with a B.Tech.
- Candidates sponsored by various organizations designated as Research and Development units by the Department of Science and Technology, applicants supported by NIOT or educational institutions accredited by the AICTE/UGC/Government, or candidates sponsored by Government/Public Sector Undertakings.
- Qualified candidates for the QIP program.
- UOP candidates from a range of organizations/industries are eligible to apply under the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding (Memorandum of Understanding).
- The Department of Defense endorses candidates.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria to apply for IIT Hyderabad M.Tech
Following are all the conditions that you need to fulfil to get admission to the M.Tech program at IIT Hyderabad:
- Candidates must have passed the GATE exam with a score more than IIT Hyderabad cutoff.
- Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in engineering, technology, or architecture from an AICTE-accredited institution or a government-accredited institution.
- Candidates with master’s degrees in Chemistry/Life Sciences/Mathematics/Physics-related subjects from UGC/Government-approved educational institutions may also sit for the GATE exam.
- Candidates who have graduated from or are about to graduate from IIT Hyderabad with a B.Tech. degree and a cumulative grade point average of 8.0 or better are eligible to enrol in IIT Hyderabad’s MTech programme without submitting a GATE score.
- These applications will be evaluated by the relevant Department.
What is GATE?
GATE is the short form for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. This examination is intended to ascertain a student’s comprehensive understanding of a variety of undergraduate engineering and science courses in preparation for admission to a Master’s program and employment in a variety of government sectors.
It is an entrance examination administered by the Indian Institute of Technology on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), the Government of India, and the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE for the purpose of determining admission to the MTech program.
All admission bids are submitted by GATE via the Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP). Membership in COAP is absolutely free. Following their entrance examinations, candidates must register on the COAP site for inspection and acceptance by IIT Hyderabad.
The candidate is highly advised to receive a copy of the COAP 2022 information booklet and to follow the Participation Guidelines. COAP registration number is a required field on the IIT Hyderabad website while applying for M.Tech admissions.
It is not an admissions forum for M.Tech. It is only a method of obtaining information about the GATE Examination results and IIT Hyderabad’s cut-off lists.
How to apply?
Students interested in enrolling in IIT Hyderabad’s MTech degree must create an account on the university’s official website first. Please follow the steps mentioned below to register:
- To begin, you must register on IIT Hyderabad’s official website, which assigns seats based on a cut-off list.
- Log in to the website and enter your data carefully; you must read the form well before submitting it to confirm that you understand the terms.
- Upload any necessary paperwork via the admissions site.
- The documents required are mentioned below.
- Payment of the fee is required, and a copy of the fee receipt is retained.
Keep a soft copy of the following documents (if applicable) ready for uploading at the Website:
- PDF file of your valid GATE scorecard (as originally downloaded).
- Image file of your recent passport size photograph (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 kB, Max.: 500kB, -Photo Size, Width: 30 mm, Height: 45 mm)
- Image file of your signature (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 KB, Max.: 500 kB Box Size, Width: 80 mm, Height: 35 mm)
- Nationality Certificate (Any of the following: Birth Certificate or First page of your passport or Certificate issued by approved Govt. agency for Nationality)
- Persons with Disability are required to upload a certificate of disability from the authorized medical board attached to one of the following: Vocational Rehabilitation Centre (VRC) for Physically Handicapped persons, Special Employment Exchange for Physically Handicapped, Government Hospital (District and State level).
- SC/ST Certificate.
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate: To be considered under the OBC category, candidates should upload the OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by competent authorities available on the website submission of only BC or MBC certificate will not be treated as OBC category. If any valid OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate copy is not enclosed, the candidate will be treated under the General category.
- EWS Certificate: For General candidates to be considered under the EWS category, they should upload the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by a competent authority available on the Website. If the certificate neither submitted nor valid, it will be treated under the General category.
- Complete list of courses with the syllabus for ZE/ZS candidates
- Grade Cards / Marksheets till date for All Candidates.
M.Tech for Working Professionals
If you are a working professional who immediately began your career after completing your B.Tech degree and now aspire to pursue higher education, consider M.Tech for working professionals, an excellent choice tailored to accommodate the needs of employed individuals. This part-time program allows you to obtain an M.Tech degree without having to leave your current job. Its flexible structure integrates both online and offline classes to provide convenience and accessibility.
Online classes are facilitated through a digital platform called the Learning Management System (LMS). These live video lectures are also recorded and stored on the LMS, enabling students to access them conveniently if they miss any sessions. The LMS serves as a virtual classroom, providing access to all relevant study materials.
For practical experiences and laboratory sessions, offline classes are conducted on the campus. To strike a balance between work and study commitments, all classes are scheduled during weekends or evenings, depending on the university of your choice.
One of the notable advantages of this program is its affordability. The total fee for M.Tech for working professionals ranges from INR 1-2 lakhs, significantly lower than a regular M.Tech program, making it a feasible option, especially for those facing financial constraints.
The best part about the course is that you can get direct admission to the course without any entrance examination. You only need to fulfil the eligibility criteria. To be eligible for admission to M.Tech for working professionals, the candidate must have completed either a BE or a B.Tech degree in the relevant specialisation from a government recognised university and with at least 50% marks.
However, it is imperative to select a university that holds approvals from government regulatory bodies like UGC and AICTE to ensure the validity of your degree. Below are some of the top universities in India offering M.Tech courses designed for working professionals in various specializations:
- Shri Venkateshwara University (SVU) Engineering
- Lingaya's Vidyapeeth Engineering
- BITS Pilani WILP
- Mangalayatan University
- Mewar University
- Apex University
While IIT Hyderabad is without a doubt the best university for engineering students, other private institutions also offer comparable education at a lower cost. As a result, I’ve included detailed advice on how to apply to the MTech program at IIT Hyderabad.
Additionally, I’d like to emphasize that you can pursue an MTech degree without taking any entrance exams, since the majority of private institutions, including Shri Venkateshwara University and Lingaya's Vidyapeeth, do not require students to take an entrance test.
MTech part-time, MTech working professional, and similar courses are also available to students who are unable to attend regularly scheduled sessions and are managed by the university directly.