IIT Bombay is one of the finest institutes among the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IITs). It has constantly been on top positions every year for its engineering courses. When we talk about any IIT, they are the best institutions for engineering courses, both B.Tech and M.Tech.
Candidates seeking admission to IIT Bombay’s MTech program should read this page carefully as it will provide extensive information on how to obtain admission to IIT Bombay’s MTech program. So, Let Us Begin.
IIT Bombay MTech Admission 2024
MTech stands for Master of Technology, which is a 2 year postgraduate engineering course available for students who have completed their undergraduation in B.Tech or BE. If you choose to pursue an MTech programme at IIT Bombay, you must register separately on the institute’s official website and on the GATE COAP 2024 portal.
GATE registration will open online in April. It should be noted that applicants who have graduated from IIT Bombay with a CGPA of 8.0 or higher are eligible for direct admission to the MTech programme at IIT Bombay. GATE scores are not required for MTech admission.
Who can Apply?
- Candidates who have passed the GATE examination.
- Graduates of IIT Bombay with a B.Tech.
- Candidates sponsored by different organizations recognized by the Department of Science and Technology as Research and Development units, applicants sponsored by NIOT or educational institutions certified by the AICTE/UGC/Government, or candidates sponsored by Government/Public Sector Undertakings.
- QIP candidates.
- UOP applicants of various organizations/industries in accordance with the MoU (Memorandum of Understanding).
- Candidates sponsored by Defense.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria to apply for IIT Bombay M Tech
Each candidate must meet specific eligibility requirements in order to enrol in the Indian Institute of Technology’s MTech programme. The following are the minimum qualifying requirements for your reference:
- A GATE score is required for admission to IIT Bombay’s MTech programme.
- To be eligible for the GATE test, candidates must have earned a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture from an institution accredited by the AICTE/Government.
- Master’s degree holders in Chemistry/Life Sciences/Mathematics/Physics-related topics from UGC/Government-approved educational institutions are also eligible to sit for the GATE test.
- Candidates who have graduated/are graduating from IIT Bombay with a B.Tech. degree and a CGPA of 8.0 or higher are eligible to enrol for an MTech programme at IIT Bombay without submitting a GATE score.
- The appropriate Department will assess these applications.
What is GATE?
GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, which is a national level entrance examination for admission to M.Tech courses. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) conducts the GATE exam every year on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), the Government of India, and the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE to determine admission to the MTech program.
This test is used to determine a student’s thorough mastery of numerous undergraduate engineering and scientific disciplines in preparation for entrance to a Master’s program and employment in various governmental sectors.
GATE submits all admission bids through the Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP). Candidates must register at the COAP portal following their admission exams for inspection and acceptance by IIT Bombay. Registration on the COAP website is completely free. Candidates are encouraged to obtain the COAP 2023 information leaflet and adhere to the Participation Guidelines.
However, COAP is not a platform for M.Tech admissions. It is only a platform for checking the GATE Examination results and IIT Bombay’s cut-off lists. COAP registration number is a required field while applying for M.Tech admission on the IIT Bombay website.
How to apply?
To enroll in the MTech program at IIT Bombay, students must first register on the university’s official website. To register, please follow the procedures outlined below:
- To begin, you must register on the official website of IIT Bombay, which has awarded seats based on the cut-off list.
- Log on to the website and carefully fill out your data; you must read the form before filling it out to ensure that you understand the requirements.
- Upload all necessary documentation to the admissions site.
- The needed documents are listed below.
- Submit the fee and retain a copy of the fee receipt for future reference.
Keep a soft copy of the following documents (if applicable) ready for uploading at the Website:
- PDF file of your valid GATE scorecard (as originally downloaded).
- Image file of your recent passport size photograph (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 kB, Max.: 500kB, -Photo Size, Width: 30 mm, Height: 45 mm)
- Image file of your signature (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 KB, Max.: 500 kB Box Size, Width: 80 mm, Height: 35 mm)
- Nationality Certificate (Any of the following: Birth Certificate or First page of your passport or Certificate issued by approved Govt. agency for Nationality)
- Persons with Disability are required to upload a certificate of disability from the authorized medical board attached to one of the following: Vocational Rehabilitation Centre (VRC) for Physically Handicapped persons, Special Employment Exchange for Physically Handicapped, Government Hospital (District and State level).
- SC/ST Certificate.
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate: To be considered under the OBC category, candidates should upload the OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by competent authorities available on the website submission of only BC or MBC certificate will not be treated as OBC category. If any valid OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate copy is not enclosed, the candidate will be treated under the General category.
- EWS Certificate: For General candidates to be considered under the EWS category, they should upload the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by a competent authority available on the Website. If the certificate neither submitted nor valid, it will be treated under the General category.
- Complete list of courses with the syllabus for ZE/ZS candidates
- Grade Cards / Marksheets till date for All Candidates.
Part-Time M.Tech for Working Professionals
While IITs are renowned institutions for M.Tech programs, they are not the only options available in the country. Competition for IIT admissions can be fierce, but there are private institutes offering M.Tech courses with direct admission, bypassing the need for any entrance exam. Such courses are commonly known as part-time M.Tech courses or M.Tech for working professionals.
This program offers several advantages, notably the ability to pursue the course without leaving one's job. It is designed with a flexible schedule, and classes are typically held on weekends or in the evening. The course structure incorporates both online and offline classes, with theoretical subjects delivered online and practical training conducted through offline sessions.
While the course is specifically designed for working professionals, non-working professionals can also apply in most colleges. The primary eligibility requirement is to have completed a B.Tech or BE in a relevant specialization with at least 50% marks from an approved university.
The duration of the course is typically 2 years, divided into 4 semesters. Some universities may have an extra semester, extending the total duration to 2.5 years. The course is duly recognized by the government and holds equal value to a regular M.Tech course, making graduates eligible for jobs in both private and government sectors.
One significant advantage of pursuing a part-time M.Tech course is the relatively lower fee compared to a regular M.Tech course. The total fee for the complete 2-year course is usually within INR 1-2 lakhs, approximately half the fees of a regular M.Tech program. This makes part-time M.Tech a great choice for individuals facing financial difficulties in pursuing higher education.
However, it is crucial to carefully select an institute for this course, as not all colleges in the country have the approval to offer part-time M.Tech courses. Admission should only be sought in UGC/AICTE approved colleges to ensure the validity of the degree. Here is a list of some top UGC/AICTE approved universities in India offering part-time M.Tech courses:
- Shri Venkateshwara University (SVU) Engineering
- Lingaya's Vidyapeeth Engineering
- BITS Pilani WILP
- Apex University
- Mangalayatan University
- Mewar University
As a result, I’ve included extensive instructions on how to apply to IIT Bombay for the MTech program. I’d also like to mention that you may pursue a part-time MTech degree without taking any entrance examinations, since most private colleges, such as Shri Venkateshwara University, provide admission to these programs without requiring students to take an entrance test.
MTech part-time, MTech working professional, and similar courses are also offered to students who are unable to attend normal sessions, and admission to these courses is handled directly. While there is no question that IIT Bombay is the greatest institution for engineering students, there are also other private colleges that provide this education at a reduced cost to students.