Indian Institute of Technology is the most famous engineering college in India. There is huge competition among students for getting admission to this college and only a few students get a chance to learn from this college.
Candidates seeking admission at IIT for the MTech program should read this article as this article will help you in getting detailed knowledge of How to get admission to IIT for the MTech course. So Let’s Get Started.
IIT M.Tech Admission 2023
M Tech is a postgraduate engineering course that can only be pursued by the students after completing a Bachelor’s degree in technology. If you want to pursue an MTech course from IIT you have to separately register yourself on the official website of IIT and also on the portal of GATE COAP 2021 portal.
GATE registration is scheduled to start online in April. It should be noted that candidates who have done their graduation from IIT with a CGPA of 8.0 or above can take direct admission to the IIT MTech degree. GATE scoring is not required at the time of MTech Admission.
Who can Apply?
- GATE qualified candidates
- IIT Graduates with B.Tech Degree
- Candidates sponsored by various organizations recognized by DST as Research and Development units, candidates sponsored by NIOT or from educational institutions approved by AICTE/UGC/Government or from Government/Public Sector Undertakings
- QIP candidates
- UOP candidates of various organizations/industries as per the MoU(Memorandum of Understanding)with theInstitute
- Defense-sponsored candidates
Minimum Eligibility Criteria to apply for IIT M.Tech
Every candidate needs to follow certain eligibility criteria to pursue the MTech course from the Indian Institute of Technology. The minimum eligibility criteria are mentioned here for your reference:-
- GATE score is a must to pursue the MTech degree from IIT.
- Candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture from Educational Institutions approved by AICTE/Government to be eligible for the GATE examination.
- Master’s degree holders in Chemistry/Life Sciences/Mathematics/Physics related subjects from educational Institutions approved by UGC/ Government can also appear for the GATE exam.
- Candidates graduating/graduated from IIT with a B.Tech degree and having a CGPA of 8.0 and above can apply for an MTech course at IIT without GATE Score. These applications will be reviewed by the respective Department.
What is GATE?
GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is an entrance examination conducted on the behalf of the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, and National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE by the Indian Institute of Technology to allow admission to the MTech program.
This examination is taken to check the comprehensive understanding of the students regarding various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science for admission into the Master’s program and for the job of various public sectors.
All admission bids by GATE are presented on the Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP). For observation and acceptance of the IIT after giving the entrance examination, candidates need to register at the COAP site. The COAP site is free to register.
Candidates should download the information brochure on COAP 2021 and follow the Participation Guidelines. However, COAP is not an M.Tech admissions application portal.
It is just a portal for checking the result of the GATE Examination and the cut-off lists of the IIT. COAP registration number is an obligatory field to register on the IIT site at the time of M.Tech admission.
How to Apply?
To pursue the MTech Course from IIT the students need to register on the official website of IIT. For registration you need to follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Firstly you need to register yourself on the official website of the IIT in which they have allotted the seat according to the Cut-off list.
- Log-In to the website and fill up your details carefully and must read the form before filling it to be clear about the instructions.
- Upload the required documents on the admission portal. The list of required documents is given below.
- Submit the fee and take the printout of the fee receipt for the future.
Keep a soft copy of the following documents (if applicable) ready for uploading at the Website:
- PDF file of your valid GATE scorecard (as originally downloaded).
- Image file of your recent passport size photograph (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 kB, Max.: 500kB, -Photo Size, Width: 30 mm, Height: 45 mm)
- Image file of your signature (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 KB, Max.: 500 kB Box Size, Width: 80 mm, Height: 35 mm)
- Nationality Certificate (Any of the following: Birth Certificate or First page of your passport or Certificate issued by approved Govt. agency for Nationality)
- Persons with Disabilities are required to upload a certificate of disability from the authorized medical board attached to one of the following: Vocational Rehabilitation Centre (VRC) for Physically Handicapped persons, Special Employment Exchange for Physically Handicapped, Government Hospital (District and State level).
- SC/ST Certificate.
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate: To be considered under the OBC category, candidates should upload the OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by competent authorities available on the website submission of only BC or MBC certificate will not be treated as OBC category. If any valid OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate copy is not enclosed, the candidate will be treated under the General category.
- EWS Certificate: For General candidates to be considered under the EWS category, they should upload the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by a competent authority available on the Website. If the certificate neither submitted nor valid, it will be treated under the General category.
- Complete list of courses with the syllabus for ZE/ZS candidates
- Grade Cards / Marksheets till date for All Candidates.
So, here I have provided all the detailed information about how you can apply to IIT for the MTech course. I also want to share that you can also pursue the MTech course without giving any entrance exams as most of the private universities like Shri Venkateshwara University are offering admission to these courses without taking any entrance exam.
Courses like MTech part-time, MTech working professional, etc are also available for the students who are not able to attend regular classes, and admission to these courses are taken directly. No doubt that IIT is the best university to pursue an engineering course but there are also some private universities that are offering this course at a lower fee to the students.