India’s most prominent engineering college is the Indian Institute of Technology. There is fierce competition for admission to this college, and only a select few pupils are accepted.
Candidates seeking admission to IIT Madras’s MTech course should carefully read this page since it contains detailed information on how to apply for admission to the MTech course at IIT Madras. Therefore, Let Us Begin.
IIT Madras MTech Admission 2023
MTech is a postgraduate engineering degree that is only accessible to individuals who have earned a Bachelor of Science in technology. If you wish to study MTech at IIT Madras, you must register separately on the institute’s official website and on the GATE COAP 2022 page.
Online registration for GATE will open in April. It is worth noting that applicants who have graduated from IIT Madras with a cumulative grade point average of 8.0 or better are eligible for direct admission to the MTech programme at IIT Madras. GATE scores are not necessary for admission to the MTech program.
Who can Apply?
- Candidates who have obtained a passing score on the GATE test.
- IIT Madras graduates with a B.Tech.
- Candidates sponsored by various organizations designated as Research and Development units by the Department of Science and Technology, applicants supported by NIOT or educational institutions accredited by the AICTE/UGC/Government, or candidates sponsored by Government/Public Sector Undertakings.
- Candidates for QIP.
- In compliance with the MoU, UOP candidates from diverse organizations/industries (Memorandum of Understanding).
- Defence-sponsored candidates.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria to apply for IIT Madras MTech
Each candidate must achieve strict eligibility conditions in order to enrol in the MTech programme offered by the Indian Institute of Technology. The following are the bare-bones qualifications for your reference:
- Admission to IIT Madras’s MTech course requires a GATE score.
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture from an AICTE/government-accredited institution.
- Candidates with master’s degrees in Chemistry/Life Sciences/Mathematics/Physics-related subjects from UGC/Government-approved educational institutions are also eligible to sit for the GATE examination.
- Candidates who have graduated/are about to graduate from IIT Madras with a B.Tech. degree and a CGPA of 8.0 or better are eligible to enrol in IIT Madras’ MTech programme without submitting a GATE score.
- These applications will be evaluated by the relevant Department.
What is GATE?
GATE is an abbreviation for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is an entrance examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), the Government of India, and the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE for the purpose of determining admission to the MTech program.
This examination is meant to assess a student’s comprehensive understanding of a variety of undergraduate engineering and scientific fields in preparation for admission to a Master’s programme and employment in a variety of government sectors.
All admission bids are submitted by GATE via the Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP). Following their entrance tests, candidates must register on the COAP site for inspection and acceptance by IIT Madras. COAP registration is absolutely free.
Candidates are urged to get a copy of the COAP 2022 information brochure and to follow the Participation Guidelines. COAP is not, however, a venue for M.Tech admissions.
It is only a means of obtaining information about the GATE Examination results and IIT Madras’ cut-off lists. COAP registration number is a compulsory field on the IIT Madras website while applying for M.Tech admission.
How to apply?
To enroll in IIT Madras’s MTech program, students must first create an account on the university’s official website. Please follow the steps mentioned below to register:
- To begin, you must register on IIT Madras’ official website, which has allocated seats based on a cut-off list.
- Log on to the website and enter your data carefully; you must read the form before completing it to verify that you understand the criteria.
- All required paperwork should be uploaded to the admissions portal.
- The documents required are mentioned below.
- Pay the charge and save a copy of the fee receipt for your records.
Keep a soft copy of the following documents (if applicable) ready for uploading at the Website:
- PDF file of your valid GATE scorecard (as originally downloaded).
- Image file of your recent passport size photograph (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 kB, Max.: 500kB, -Photo Size, Width: 30 mm, Height: 45 mm)
- Image file of your signature (file in jpeg format, size, Min: 10 KB, Max.: 500 kB Box Size, Width: 80 mm, Height: 35 mm)
- Nationality Certificate (Any of the following: Birth Certificate or First page of your passport or Certificate issued by approved Govt. agency for Nationality)
- Persons with Disability are required to upload a certificate of disability from the authorized medical board attached to one of the following: Vocational Rehabilitation Centre (VRC) for Physically Handicapped persons, Special Employment Exchange for Physically Handicapped, Government Hospital (District and State level).
- SC/ST Certificate.
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate: To be considered under the OBC category, candidates should upload the OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by competent authorities available on the website submission of only BC or MBC certificate will not be treated as OBC category. If any valid OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate copy is not enclosed, the candidate will be treated under the General category.
- EWS Certificate: For General candidates to be considered under the EWS category, they should upload the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) certificate in the format prescribed by the Government of India issued by a competent authority available on the Website. If the certificate neither submitted nor valid, it will be treated under the General category.
- Complete list of courses with the syllabus for ZE/ZS candidates
- Grade Cards / Marksheets till date for All Candidates.
As a result, I’ve given detailed advice on how to apply for the MTech program at IIT Madras. Additionally, I’d like to emphasize that you may pursue an MTech degree without taking any entrance exams, since most private schools, such as Shri Venkateshwara University, admit students without needing them to take an entrance exam.
MTech part-time, MTech working professional, and similar courses are also available to students who are unable to attend regularly scheduled sessions, and admission to these courses is handled directly by the university.
While IIT Madras is without a doubt the best institution for engineering students, there are also some private institutions that offer this education at a lower cost to students.